Thursday 18 August 2011

Jonquil @ Hoxton Square

Walk the streets shouting “I’m easy come, I’m easy come I’m easy go” and people are likely to give you a bit of a wide berth and probably not believe you but this is the effect that Jonquil can have on you as I’ve found out. I’ve already written about how great some of their music is so neither of us will be surprised when I say that it was a really great gig; how great? Really, very.

The vocals have always been good and I’ve always known that but seeing them live really brought home how just how strong and powerful Hugo Manuel’s voice are, to the extent that they sound reinvented live. The new stuff they showcased off their soon to be released LP seemed to show off his voice a little bit more so the new stuff promises to have me singing in the aisles. Can't wait.

Support came from Get People, a band I’d never before but, with their heavily distorted afrobeat sound they made for another pleasing surprise so they are definitely worth checking out.

JONQUIL /// GET UP from B A N K S on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment