Thursday 4 August 2011

NEVEREST SONGS


Margate is a seaside town on the south coast of Britain. It’s beautiful in its own way, but a site of faded glory. Does that kind of backdrop provide any inspiration for Luke Twyman, known as Neverest Songs, who is from Margate?

Sort of ... it feels a little cut off here and it's difficult not to want to incorporate that feeling into whatever I'm doing, but I can't say I've felt the need to specifically write about the town yet.

Even when the town produces great artist like Neverest Songs it somehow never gets the credit. The inevitable follow up to this is, of course, what do you write about? Luckily I asked this.

I tend to jump between high fantasy and real life. Some songs are introspective, perhaps recounting my own experiences, while others are start-to-finish imagination. But I'd say there are a good number now which sit somewhere in-between, they might start with a memory or a story that I've read about, and then I adapt or expand on it.

It’s a good job we now know because one of the most striking things about Neverest Songs is the storytelling element that you find in all his songs as well as the strong musical composition and vocals.

Luke is playing a precious few dates this year such as Green Man Festival and a support gig for William Tyler in October. Below is Paper Trumpets, his latest release.

NB Luke did a really awesome photo interview for A Negative Narrative which you can see here 



No comments:

Post a Comment