Sunday 8 May 2011

CARDINALS

I saw Cardinals play a few months ago now; they were the first on the bill and were a new band who I had never heard of. I didn’t hold out too much hope. But I was pleasantly surprised by a band who came across on stage as old hands at the game. I thought, even then, they would be ones to watch.

A few months later and they’ve released their first EP (which is self titled).

So then, to describe their sound. Well, this is what band member James had to say:

“I'd like to think our sound is a culmination of all our influences; ultimately elements of post-rock and modern indie. It's very guitar-driven, with heavy influence from 90's emo bands and other modern day ambient/crossover stuff like Brand New”.

James, I’d agree with you, but I think you're selling yourselves short a little here. Even after a few listens to the EP you can hear that there is a lot of experimentation. Case and point comes with The Salamander – a track which opens with acoustic guitar, again a pleasant surprise.

I must admit to feeling a bit of a rapport with this band (I suspect every one of a certain age and disposition will too), their experimenting with certain sounds, yet it still sounds very honest.

So then James, what does the future hold for Cardinals:

“We have started writing new material which will hopefully take shape of another EP at some point, we're really keen to carry on writing [and] this year we're going to have a lot more time for writing so it should come together pretty quickly."

Looking forward to it.
Cardinals – EP is out now and can be got from bandcamp. The band will tour in June. 

No comments:

Post a Comment