Sunday 20 March 2011

The Remix


“Remixing is like musical prostitution. I think it’s really cynical and vacuous; I’m batting offers away like flies. It never used to be like that. Ray Charles didn’t need five remixes. The song speaks for itself”. – James Blake

The one album I haven’t  been able to stop listening to recently is ‘We’re New Here’ which is a remix of the recent Gil Scott-Heron album made by Jamie from the xx. The dubstep elements are very modern and, help give whole new meanings to songs – kind of the point of a remix  you’ll no doubt agree. And the words of Heron speak for themselves.

So  you can tell by now that that I disagree with Blake. If not for the remix treatment I wouldn’t have listened to the brilliant original; remixes bring the music to a wider audience who wouldn’t otherwise have heard it; it’s like rappers and duets.

So yeah James is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment